The Municipality of Brdovec is situated in the western part of Zagreb County, in the area bordering on Slovenia. The majority of settlements and commercial entities are found in the central part of the municipality, along the main transport corridor Zagreb–Ljubljana (road and rail). The northern part is made up of gentle hills covered in forests, vineyards and many weekend houses. The Brdovec parish is one of the oldest parishes in the Zagreb Diocese, and it was established in 1334. The seat of the parish once stood on a hill, hence the name (brdo = hill), where the Chapel of the Holy Cross stands today, which now belongs to the Marija Gorica parish. Only later was the parish seat moved to the lowlands where the present day parish church was built and consecrated in 1679. In the past, the Brdovec parish covered a larger territory (Marija Gorica and parts of the Rozga and Pušća parishes, while Zaprešić only became in independent parish in 1946). Today, the Brdovec parish extends along the Sava River valley from Zaprešić to the Sutla River, which is also the state border with Slovenia. The patron saint of the Brdovec parish is St. Vitus the Martyr.


Tourist attractions

Januševec Palace (Prigorje Brdovečko)

This is a monument of the highest (zero) category and one of the loveliest Classicist palaces in Croatia. It was built by the retired General Vrkljan in 1828, who once served as Finance Minister to Napoleon’s second wife, Marie Louise. He entrusted its construction to Bartol Felbinger, Croatia’s best Classisict architect. In 1845, the castle was sold to E. Corberon, and later changed owners often. In May 1945, it was damaged in an explosion. It was renovated in the 1970s. The three story palace fits beautifully into the landscape and is adapted to the slight plateau. The simple rectangular form is divided proportionally into classicist porticos on the northern and southern facades, while the western side opens into a loggia. The interior is dominated by a central, circular hall, 11 m high, covered with an 8 m dome. The interior walls were painted with vistas of various cities. Once the palace was surrounded by an English garden. Today it is used by the State Archive.

Vranyczany-Dobrinović Palace (Laduč)

Baron Vladimir Vranyczany-Dobrinović entrusted construction of this palace to architect K. Waidman in 1882. This is a two story palace with altan on the facade, and the interior stands out for its formal, two-wing staircase with balustrade that leads to the first floor. The fantastic ceilings paintings are the work of Ivan Klausen. The grounds in front of the palace are a French garden. Today, the palace is a children’s home.


US en