Picturesque places with a peaceful rhythm of life, fruitful land and leafy villages, plenty of natural beauty. If you combine rich history, proudly preserved heritage, superb home-made, local cuisine, authentic wines and sincere hospitality, you will get the surroundings of Zagreb. Situated as a green natural ring of the city of Zagreb, far away from the hustle and bustle of the metropolis, the Zagreb County is always close enough. Get to know nine cities of Zagreb County!
Dugo Selo is situated some 20 kilometres from the center of the Croatian capital. As a a recognised Saint Martin-related heritage tourism destination, it was first mentioned as "terra sancta Martini" in the charter King Andrew II issued in 1209, in which he granted the "land of St. Martin"- the area of what is today Dugo Selo - to the Templars. Saint Martin is is the patron saint of the town and parish, wine yards and winegrowers. In the region of Dugo Selo, which has historically been designated as the Land of St.Martin, a valuable St. Martin’s tangible and intangible heritage was created.
The city is situated in the Moslavina region on the Lonja River, right off the Zagreb–Lipovac motorway, 38 km away from Zagreb. Ivanić-Grad was first mentioned in the records dating from the 13th century (1246). The town is also known for its vicinity to the Naftalan health resort and its traditional event Bučijada.
The town of Jastrebarsko is located in the area of southwest Zagreb County, halfway between Zagreb and Karlovac. It is the most important wine-growing area of central Croatia. The surrounding areas of Jaska include several attractive excursion destinations, including the Crna Mlaka ornithological reserve, the Plešivica wine road and the highest peak of the Samobor hills, Mt. Japetić
Because of its numerous sports and recreational facilities and lakes (cycling and hiking trails, lake fishing, canoeing, paintball), the youngest town in Zagreb County, Sveta Nedelja, is a favorite tourist destination. In Sveta Nedelja there is also the Erdödy Castle in Kerestinec, a Renaissance-Baroque castle built by the Erdödy family and the parish church of the Holy Trinity which stands on a hill in the town centre. Additionally, you can visit the Rimac factory of a young and world-renowned innovator Mate Rimac, and nearby is placed the Adrenaline Park and Camp Zagreb.
Situated only 30 minutes from the capital town, Samobor is the most famous excursion destination for Zagreb residents. This charming little town along the border officially counts its days from 1242. In 1242, King Bela IV granted the people of Samobor a charter giving the town the status of a free royal trading town.
SVETI IVAN ZELINA
Sveti Ivan Zelina is especially known for its numerous vineyards and the production of quality wines. Zelina Wine Road, which passes through the wine-growing villages of the Zelina region, is particularly interesting for tourists. Zelina proudly bears the title of the "Queen of Prigorje", and the Prigorje lookout. You should reach its peaks and enjoy the view of the surrounding picturesque villages, orchards, vineyards, arable land, forests and meadows on the plain of the river Lonja or the surrounding and distant mountains.
The tame Vrbovec region a beautiful, hilly area in the east of Zagreb County. The first written record of the town dates back to 1244 (document of King Bela IV). Petar Zrinski was born here in 1621. The fortress was raised as a defensive structure to fend off the Turks. Today, only the cylindrical tower still stands. Near Vrbovec (Negovec), M.J. Zagorka, the popular novelist and first female journalist in southern Europe, was born.
The city of Zaprešić is located only 17 km west from Zagreb. Zaprešić and its surroundings offer several interesting tourist facilities: 5 castles, flora & fauna reserves, excellent gastronomic offer and traditional events. Novi dvori Jelačićevi is one of the best preserved feudal economic units in Croatia.
Municipality of Rugvica
The municipality of Rugvica is one of the municipalities of the Zagreb County formed in 1993, by separating from the municipality of Dugo Selo. It consists of 23 settlements spread over an area of 93.73 km2. With its location, this municipality borders with Zagreb in the north, Dugo Selo in the east, Ivanić Grad in the south and the western border is the Sava River, which separates it from the municipality of Orle. The municipality is named after the settlement Rugvica which is located in the central part of the municipality. The very location of this village conditioned it to be an educational, political and economic center. There is the building of the Elementary School Rugvica, the School Sports Hall and the building of the local government of the Municipality located next to the Fire Department. It is also home to the largest economic zone. This area is on average at 300 m above sea level and has always allowed agriculture, and the fertile soil along the Sava river for centuries has allowed families to produce food for their own needs. This once highly agricultural area at the end of the 20th century began to take on new shapes and events during the Homeland War and later influenced the fact that this area significantly changed its demographic and economic characteristics.
Municipality of Pisarovina
The Municipality of Pisarovina measures about 142 square kilometres and has a population of only 3,707. Pisarovina is also the name of the municipal centre, a small town between the Vukomeričke Gorice hills, the Kupa River and the Draganići Woods. The town is accessible by a regional road and lies about 27 kilometres from Jastrebarsko and 25 kilometres from Zagreb. The municipality comprises the villages of Bratina, Bregana Pisarovinska, Donja Kupčina, Dvoranci, Gorica Jamnička, Lijevo Sredičko, Lučelnica, Pisarovina, Podgorje Jamničko, Selsko Brdo, Topolovec Pisarovinski, and Velika Jamnička. The picturesque landscape of Pisarovina offers many pleasant sights. Fields and rolling hills alternate with ancient oak woods and groves, and streams meander towards the confluence with the Kupa. This rich and diverse area will delight the visitor with a sense of the gentle beauty of nature. Many families from Zagreb have discovered a sense of freedom in these unspoilt surroundings and have chosen to build their holiday cottages here. Along the clear and warm Kupa, little inlets covered with river sand attract visitors in search of a swim or a pleasant week-end rest. The Kupa is an attractive fishing spot, too: anglers can try their luck with carp, amur, chub, tench, catfish, pike and perch. Fishing is also possible at the anglers’ fishponds in Pisarovina.
Municipality of Krašić
Krašić, a town with a population of 3,200 lies in the southwestern part of Zagreb County, 23 km from the Zagreb–Karlovac motorway and 50 km from Zagreb.Krašić is a place of prayer, peace and pilgrimage, and the birthplace and place of death of the Blessed Alojzije Stepinac (Krašić Days, 8 May). The Blessed Cardinal Stepinac was born in the village Brezarić in 1989, and served a 16-year sentence in a home prison. This is also the birthplace of Cardinal Franjo Kuharić (Pribić), Bishop Juraj Jezerinac (Prekrižje), and Bishop Josip Mrzljak. In addition to religious tourism, there are also numerous sporting activities available here, including hiking and golf (Mirkopolje). The development of tourism is one of the top priorities for the municipality. Krašić was previously known for the development of religious tourism. The nearby village of Brezarić is the birthplace of the blessed Cardinal Alojzije Stepinac (1898-1960), who spent the final years of his life in the Krašić parish office under house arrest, as part of a 16 year sentence. The one hundredth anniversary of the cardinal’s birth was formally commemorated on 8 May 1998 with the unveiling of a monument on the newly completed square before the Church of the Most Holy Trinity. Since 1994, the cardinal’s birthday, 8 May, is also celebrated as Krašić Municipality Day. In addition to the blessed Alojzije Stepinec, Cardinal Franjo Kuharić (village of Pribić), Bishop Juraj Jezerinac (village of Prekrižje), Bishop Josip Mrzljak and many other ecclesiastical officials were also born in the Krašić area. As such, this area can rightfully be called a place of prayer, peace and pilgrimage, and most of all the birthplace and death place of the blessed Alojzije Stepinac.
Municipality of Brdovec
The Municipality of Brdovec is situated in the western part of Zagreb County, in the area bordering on Slovenia. The majority of settlements and commercial entities are found in the central part of the municipality, along the main transport corridor Zagreb–Ljubljana (road and rail). The northern part is made up of gentle hills covered in forests, vineyards and many weekend houses. The Brdovec parish is one of the oldest parishes in the Zagreb Diocese, and it was established in 1334. The seat of the parish once stood on a hill, hence the name (brdo = hill), where the Chapel of the Holy Cross stands today, which now belongs to the Marija Gorica parish. Only later was the parish seat moved to the lowlands where the present day parish church was built and consecrated in 1679. In the past, the Brdovec parish covered a larger territory (Marija Gorica and parts of the Rozga and Pušća parishes, while Zaprešić only became in independent parish in 1946). Today, the Brdovec parish extends along the Sava River valley from Zaprešić to the Sutla River, which is also the state border with Slovenia. The patron saint of the Brdovec parish is St. Vitus the Martyr.
Municipality of Dubravica
The Municipality of Dubravica is situated in the northwestern part of Zagreb County, along the border with Slovenia. It borders on Krapina-Zagorje County (municipality of Kraljevec na Sutli) to the north, the municipality of Luka and city of Zaprešić to the east, the municipality of Pušća to the southeast, and the municipality of Marija Gorica to the south. To the west, the dividing line with Slovenia is the Sutla River. The name of the municipality originates from the Dubrava oak forest, which once covered the entire area of the municipality.
Municipality of Marija Gorica
The Municipality of Marija Gorica lies in the northwestern part of Zagreb County. It is primarily a hilly region. The small, lowland part of the municipality extends in the west to the Sutla River, which is also the border line between Croatia and Slovenia. On the southeastern side, the municipality is bounded by the municipality of Brdovec, to the northeast by the municipality of Pušća, and to the north by the municipality of Dubravica. The highest geographical point of this area is the Kipišće hill (altitude 312 m), and Lipa hill (297 m). The Sveti Križ hill, with its altitude of 310 m is also an important hill and viewing point. Looking from here to the east, Mount Medvedinca dominates with its impressive appearance, while the view to the north extends all the way to the Macelj hills. Turning to the west, the view falls over the Sutla River and Sava River valleys in Slovenia, the town of Brežice, Krško, and the Slovenian hills, and even the snowy peaks of the Alps are visible. The municipality has good road and rail connections with the City of Zagreb, 26 km away.